Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. Most victims are therefore not in the right frame of mind to handle the claims, charges and investigations that follow an accident and this is where a car accident lawyer from a firm like McMenamin & McMenamin, PS comes in.
The attorney represents you in negotiation and settlements and also handles court proceedings to ensure you are fully compensated for the injuries you sustained both physically and psychologically and your car insurance is also paid.
When should you hire a car accident lawyer?
- When there is a contest as to who is at fault and you can't prove that the other driver is to blame or a lawsuit has been filed against you. If there will be a court showdown where evidence must be presented, you are better off finding an experienced lawyer.
- When a minor is involved in the accident and he/she has sustained more than minor injuries.
- If you were seriously injured or the minor injuries you sustained turned into major injuries. Serious injuries can permanently alter your life.
- No one should foot medical bills after being involved in a car accident caused by another person. However, some people prefer to settle their claims but it's time to call a lawyer when your bills surpass what you can comfortably handle.
- When the settlement being offered is very low and or it's taking too long to settle the claim. Insurance companies might delay settlement knowing that you are not aware of the statute of limitations.
- If the case will be going to court. Car accidents can be complicated especially when it comes to handling insurance companies. You are better off hiring a qualified attorney who is familiar with what it takes to win such cases than start educating yourself on how to settle car accident claims. An attorney will save you time, money and energy and give you peace of mind.
Note that it's important not to take any offer from the liable party until you can establish the full extent of your injuries otherwise the party at fault will no longer be entitled to compensate you.
How much do they charge?
The cost of car accident lawyer differs depending on the following factors:
- How complex the case is
- If there will be litigation pursuits
- Time taken to settle the case
- Amount of settlement
- The lawyer's firm. Some firms generally have higher rates
It's advisable to meet and discuss with lawyers prior to hiring them to be sure you can comfortably pay their charges.